Warning: To any one working on anything outside. Do Not listen to the Christmas song: Baby it's cold outside. You will feel 10x times colder and numb.
So I finished marking and cutting out the remaining pieces for the shield.
After that was done I need to strength the foam with a hard covering. I'm using "high impact plastic polystyrene" from US Plastics. It's about the cheapest place any where your going to get it. Here is a picture of the patterns laid out.
This keeps the foam board more stiff and helps the foam surface from getting marred. It also allows me to spray paint the surface too. I used two glues for this. I laid down some tacky craft glue (Or any elastic bonding glue that doesn't melt foam) and then applied the spray glue. Now you have only about 3 secs before hot glue hardens and the spray glue only gives you a bit more. (about 15 secs) So you have to work quickly. I sprayed both the plastic and the foam and then press them together. Then I quickly flip the piece so that the plastic side is facing down and put some weights on it.
After about 15mins curing time. (I was working in a cold garage) I picked up the weights and then taped the edges with some masking tape to act like clamps. I then placed these in our basement next to our furnace. And placed the weights back on them. Let these set for the entire recommended curing time.
Back outside I started cutting foam blocks to the correct thickness of the shield and the same for some scrape foam board. It doesn't have to be symmetrical or pretty. You will never see this stuff and it's only purpose is to provide inner bracing and support for large pieces. (Such as the shield)
This is as far as I got this week. Next time I will be joining on the pieces together and sanding and applying Bondo to the edges. I was wanting to do that this weekend but my place got some wintry weather! =D
Though, not a mech, I did manage to find Nessie out in yard.